This is my fourth time visiting this pattern. The very first time I worked this I earned my very first Daily Deviation, and so it holds a special place for me. The second time I worked it I gave it as a gift to my very best friend. The third time I had created it special for a local shop owner who said she would stock my dresses - only for her to turn me down and tell me to make jewelry instead. I didn't do any artwork for a month when that happened, I hardly even got out of bed to face the day, overwhelmingly discouraged. Last month I revisited the pattern, the product of which you see here, full of confidence and excitement.

When I found the pink-white-black flamenco type dress that inspired my newest split-skirt piece, I went hunting for other flamenco dresses for inspiration. I thought they would adapt really well to this pattern since they have so many skirt layers and after hours of hunting I was finally rewarded with a striped dress that made me go oooh! The original reference picture is in with her progress photos on Facebook. I knew I wouldn't bother creating all the intricate flowers on the original dress - I didn't have the space within the pattern to do so, let alone the time to create a bunch of little 3D frills coming off. (The 3D idea would've counteracted my goal of revisiting all my original patterns anyway.) The answer to this was something that makes me wholly uncomfortable: mixing beads. Creating bead soup - on purpose. The only way I could get a truly random floral appearance was to fill one dish with all three colors (green, pink, yellow) and let my hand pick blindly for which color was to come next.

The next issue was how to get it looking a bit less straight-cut, as the original pattern has very clear lines for where the "belt" starts and ends. My answer to that was a technique I'd applied to Eumelia: scattering the beads in a little zigzag to make them look tiered. I think the final result properly combines the skirt and bodice without the "belt" appearance being too blunt. The layered skirt section was probably the most consuming in terms of getting the layout just as I wanted. Pretty much every layer was changed to accommodate the new color plans and had to be done in two steps: the under, and then the lace that sticks out. That layering is reaalllllyyyyyy really difficult to plan ahead but I got it to turn out!

Size 11 and 15 glass seed beads in silky off-white cream, permanent opal blue, silver lined red, silver lined green, rainbow-coated pink, and semi-matte yellow. Threaded with white Japanese One G nylon. My thanks to GraniteFire and DukeWaxeye for their support throughout this effort.

Floral Cream and Blue with Pink, Green, and Yellow Layered Miniature Bead Dress

$250.00Price
  • The original pattern is Japanese - this is my modified version.

Follow me for Updates, WIP photos, and more!

  • DeviantArt
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Black Pinterest Icon

© 2023 by Make it Pink. Proudly created with Wix.com